FFXIV Raid(Endgame) Materia

FFXIV raid Materia and Gear set bonuses:

Long have (some)players wished for gear in FFXIV to have more meaning; to not be simply vertical step-ups from the previous gear. Long have (some)players wished to have some unique stat or bonus to be a part of some armor; an efficiency bonus when playing Mage’s Ballad, counter damage when damage is received, a damage boost on finishing damage combos, etc.

Square-Enix has decided against such a route, and it’s understandable. Such gear could lead to certain pieces being required by party compositions, if SE makes a bonus unintentionally too strong they get hounded by the nerf/no-nerf crowds and it becomes a rock/hard-place situation.

However (some)players want more, they want meat, they want sustenance. You can only provide the same buffet for so long before people stop coming around. You need to rotate in condiments, weekly specials, treats to allure players to continually come back.

The Meat:
This suggestion revolves around solving the following ‘issues’:

1. All stats on gear are currently simply weighted exchanges of one another (crit/det/SS) no real special or unique stats.
2. No set bonuses for gear.
3. Very Limited customization or uniqueness of individual’s gearing
4. Vertical “gear treadmill” with limited horizontal variance, players get the i190 gear then move on to i200, then i210; sometimes variation with void ark(24 man loots) and Diadem but because of point #1 there’s no real significant variance.

Now 3.1 considerations:
5. Raid, Alex-Savage, gear is no longer BiS due to Diadem’s gear and RNGness. Understandably upsets raiders but also appeals to the larger casual base.

The main concept of this suggestion is to incorporate an Endgame-Tier materia system; a system based on providing “special” stats or bonuses to gear via unique materia not unlike pvp-gear and pvp-materia following the basic rules below:

1. This type of materia can only be melded to Tomestone gear, upgraded-Tomestone, or Raid gear (eg Alex salvage i210 gear). Not Diadem or crafted gear.
2. Only the gear on the left-side can be melded (<Head>,<Body>,<Hands>,<Waist>,<Legs>,<Feet>).
3. The above gear can only be melded with this specific system’s materia; regular materia such as Savage Aim IV cannot be melded to the gear.
4. The gear cannot be over melded and each piece only has 2 available meld slots.
5. Each piece has a 2 specific materia sets that goes with it and that does not overlap with the other pieces (See the Examples section below)
6. Each materia is categorized as Tier I or Tier II (Eg Flashfire I and Flashfire II for BLM).
7. The stat/bonus cap of each individual materia effect is capped at a Tier I + Tier II (If you meld 2 Flashfire II materias the stat/bonus is capped as if you had melded only Flashfire I + Flashfire II instead). But you can meld a Flashfire II and Hailstorm II you will get full effect of both.
8. The bonus effects of each set relate to each other in some fashion creating a choice A or choice B situation (See Examples Section below).
9. The materia cannot be sold or traded with other players.

Examples:
(Disclaimer: These are simply examples to explain the system; they are not intended to be the actual suggestions for the materia effects as they have no extensive theorized testing to balance them nor do I have experience on how some jobs are played.)

BLM

PLD

Obtaining the materia:

1. Spiritbind/convert non-upgraded Tomestone gear (current content/patch) for 85%/15% at a Tier I/Tier II materia that piece can be melded with (BLM body will convert to Flashfire or Hailstorm only). Waist converts into a random materia for one of the roles in that slot, right-side accessories can be converted into a random materia for the role.
2. Spiritbind/convert upgraded Tomestone (current content/patch) for 25%/75% at a Tier I/Tier II materia that piece can be melded with (BLM body will convert to Flashfire or Hailstorm only). Waist converts into a random materia for one of the roles in that slot, right-side accessories can be converted into a random materia for the role.
3. Spiritbind/convert Raid gear (current content/patch) for 10%/90% at a Tier I/Tier II materia that piece can be melded with. (Casting body will convert to a BLM or SMN (random) body-materia only). Waist converts into a random materia for one of the roles in that slot, right-side accessories can be converted into a random materia for the role.
4. Spiritbind/convert 24-man gear (current content/patch) for 60%/40% at a Tier I/Tier II materia that the equipment slot can be melded with (Casting body will convert to a BLM or SMN (random) body-materia only).
5. Spiritbind/convert Diadem gear (current content/patch and highest ilvl) for 90%/10% at a Tier I/Tier II materia that the equipment slot can be melded with (Casting body will convert to a BLM or SMN(random) body-materia only). Waist converts into a random materia for one of the roles in that slot, right-side accessories can be converted into a random materia for the role.
6. Each “turn” of the current raid rewards 1 Tier II materia for random job/equipment in addition to the 2 normal equipment pieces dropped (3 drops total per turn).
7. Trade in any 5 Tier I materias for a Tier II at materia goblin in Central Than. The Tier II received is determined by the 5 traded. All 5 must be to the same job.
Example, trading 5 different Tier I materia will return a Tier II of one of the 5 (20% each). If you trade 5 Tier I materia with 3 being the same Flashfire I materia then you have 60% chance at getting Flashfire II materia and 20%+20%(40%) of getting a Tier II of one of the other 2.
8. Expert Dungeons have a chance (let’s say 20-30%) to reward a random job/equipment Tier I materia on the last bosses’ chest. These can be needed by jobs that can use them otherwise greeded by others.
9. 24-mans (Void Ark) drop a random job/equipment Tier I(80%) or Tier II(20%) materia per party at the last chest. Can only win 1 a week but the materia and equipment lockouts are separate (Can loot 1 materia and 1 equipment piece a week from Void Ark)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *